Friday, September 1, 2017

Day 27 - Pismo Beach to Goleta


We started early with temperatures expected to be ridiculous again (and ravenous mosquitoes at camp), but this time we were rewarded with a sweet sunrise and cool starting temperatures.

I liked this cool mural.  Where is Guadalupe you ask?  Look for the finger.


I can only tell you that it is hraddd to San Diego somehow.  I'm going to have to reread my blog to remember all these little towns.  I can't remember day to day where I've been.  

The process is pack gear, ride bike, find food, pass out, repeat.  Unbelievable really how we have very little downtime.

Any guessed to whats inside?


Raspberries and the beginning of the first climb of the day and the start of our heatwave.


Alas, we survived and it was actually the easiest climb I've ever done in California labeled "Grade". Only 800 ft. and a gentle 6-8%.


The second climb was even easier, but our garmins were reading road temps of 110-120 degrees.  Easily in the 100's for temp.

We were surprised with a extra rest stop at the top.  The temps were in the dangerous range and our leaders came through.  One rider commented he thought it was a mirage.


One quick descent and the temps dropped 30 degrees or so.


90 miles in the bag later with the finish line in sight, hard to believe it's almost come to a close.


We finished with enough energy to uber to the pub, chow down and have a pint or two.  


Thank you for all your encouragement today.  I've looked foward to seeing messages from my friends and family every day of the trip.


We've been told all day that these temps have been extreme and very abnormal.  I already like to think of it as an extra challenge.  Rest day tomorrow 👏🏻.


One more big day Sunday until I coast in to San Diego. 👍🏻👍🏻





2 comments:

  1. Truly wonderful to hear your voice! One more big day and you'll be with Jenn. That's a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 30 degree drop in temperature must have been so sweet! Oh man. I wonder if this day will be drop from your previous low of 14000 steps. Glad you found a nice-looking pub to celebrate the coming of the rest day!

    ReplyDelete