Sunday, August 7, 2016

Day 2 - Shelton to Centralia

The day began with zippers whizzing, mattresses bleeding air, and wind chimes.  Not a bad way to wake up, but difficult to sleep, about 5:30.  So awake I was, to boil up some coffee and start my oatmeal.  After coffee I heard rumblings about a Denny's 7:00 group.  Good by me so I skipped the oatmeal for an Ultimate Scramble.


The ride today was beautiful and very green.  It was green because it rained nearly all day, off and on.  Occasional peeks of sun, light rain at times, sharp painful drops at other times.  These three photos were taken when the sun peeked out and lit up all of the moisture.




I learned that my jacket is most definitely a windbreaker and not a rain jacket at all.  Tomorrow it will definitely rain so my Goretex jacket that I waffled bringing will make its debut.  Long rainy headwind most of the day today. But it was still fun, it wouldn't be the Pacific Coast without a little moisture.  A totally different kind of biking experience, magical in its own unique way.  I have to say that the wonderful hot shower at the Lutheran church we are staying at contributed to the fun as well.

Lunch was at a country kitchen.  I was very hungry after a light dinner last night and a ravenous calorie burn is kicking in.  Mo would be proud of me.  A delicious pan seared chicken fried steak.  Did I mention I was hungry.  Devoured it in its entirety.


My space to dry things out and organize gear, an ongoing activity.


Our host provided an amazing feast tonight, with tumors we may be treated to pancakes in the a.m.


I think the rest of the evening is going to involve a good book and a lengthy slumber.





4 comments:

  1. Good lunch choice!! Looks tasty! Sorry about continued rain, but it isn't inhibiting your enjoyment! Pix are good; I get a sense of the country--Thank you, and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that every day you are able to continue describing your rides as "magical." :) That looks like it was a long, steep ride. Yesterday we watched the Olympic road race and were thinking of you. It was the women but man it's impressive to see them crank away the kilometers. Glad to hear you aren't having to live on oatmeal and dedication just yet! Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff. I haven't been at my computer for a few days so I am just getting caught up. Where are you now? How many days will it take? How many riders are there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeff. I haven't been at my computer for a few days so I am just getting caught up. Where are you now? How many days will it take? How many riders are there?

    ReplyDelete