Thursday, August 11, 2016

Day 6 - Astoria to Tillamook

Early start out today.  Foggy first 20-30 miles or so.  Astoria Bridge on the way out was very foggy.


Early on the route today we encountered our first detour.  We had to backtrack an extra 6 or 7 miles.  The bridge was being replaced.


Our first rest stop was Seaside where a gigantic beach volleyball tournament was going on.  The promenade along the beach was very nice.  A side of seaside that I've never seen.


While stopped to watch, a couple ladies started chatting with me about my ride.  Eventually the lady asked to take a photo with her dog riding my bike.  Kind of like we did carrying around flat Megan so long ago.


Funny.  Next stop Cannon Brach where I tide pooled yesterday.  It looks like Haystack rock is for sale.


The next many miles of the ride were rolling hills a tunnel and one more serious climb.  A few pictures help tell that story.





I hope the kids are reading my blog I think of them daily.  This is the 4th DQ Grill & Chill I've passed.


I rode solo a lot today.  I had periods of time I felt great and periods my knee was bothering me.  Hopefully my lengthy yoga/stretch session in the park fixes that.


Guess where.  Yep, Tillamook cheese factory.  


Rocked me a three scoop rather than drinking my chocolate milk.  Dark cherry, chocolate and espresso.  That was lunch today.


We are camped out in the local YMCA baseball field.  I'm hoping the sprinklers don't come on.

I went out of my way today to ride an extra seven miles to finish my eighth strava gran fondo ride in a row.  I figured I was so close I should cross it off my to do list.

Happy birthday bride.  Love you.






6 comments:

  1. Oh! I am so envious of that rich, creamy ice cream!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok that one sounds like an exhausting one. As the first day of many before your next rest, I hope that knee isn't becoming a problem! My favorite pic is the one with the trees and the beach in the background: I hope you get to enjoy lots of great overlook views. More views and less fog! Keep it going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dad, ive been readin ur blog 👍🏻 Its great!
    Also who is that small child in that tillamook bus?
    😂
    We miss you, but its good to see you smiling in all your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a blackberry milkshake, but they had a big run on it did to the local fair. That's the best I could do.

      Delete
    2. Glad your reading bones I like hearing comments from everyone so I know someone out there is reading. Thinking of you all daily in some form or another.

      Delete
  4. Tillamook is awesome. Love the bus. Again the blog is great. Be safe. Luv u. S

    ReplyDelete