Friday, August 12, 2016

Day 7 - Tillamook to Lincoln City

Wow am I glad I didn't let the previous evenings sunshine fool me into not putting my rain fly on my tent.  It was the wettest it has been the whole trip.  It was a very heavy fog that burned of fairly quick.

Our route was yet again redirected because of a road outage, this time we had to skip the pretty part in lieu of a shortcut, making our day shorter.

The detour was also a bit ominous on the  way up our first climb.  20 or so vultures lurking on dead trees, and a coyote behind them.


Early on though the fog made for some dramatic photos.  Easy to get great pictures when it's beautiful everywhere.


I almost caught a big bird perching on the end of this pic.  Just a little too slow.


We got to get off the 101 highway off and on today making the roads sweeter and much quieter.

Our first climb was like a sauna and quite steep, but it got us up above the fog.


More rolling climbs all day until we hit bigger ones that always seem to have a great ocean view.


The tan lines are coming in nice now that we have a half day or so of sunshine.


We had an hour or so today after getting here where we shot baskets and waited for a service project today.  We all went in the vans to a woman's house who had recently lost her spouse to MS.  We had a very organized to do list.  Mostly yard work, but I took on gutter cleaning, I like to live dangerously and came up with the best way to do it.  It was very satisfying to word hard and make a difference today.  She fed us cold watermelon, ice waters and gave each of us a very nice thank you card.


My Knees feeling much better after my big outdoor yoga/stretch session yesterday.  

Sweet ride, rewarding work, and another great dinner at the church.  Awesome day.




2 comments:

  1. I like the map: hugging the coast most of the way, except for the one time you go inland, which was obviously where there was road work or whatever. That is sure beautiful country! I haven't been there in a long time and I miss it. That work project also sounds meaningful: as you said, nice to be able to make a very concrete difference. Being appreciated doesn't hurt either! Hope your knee stays better as you have just a few more miles to go....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The service work is very rewarding. I'm sure you all were very much appreciated. It doesn't hurt that you are doing same in an absolutely beautiful part of our great nation.

    ReplyDelete