Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 4 - Castle Rock to Astoria

My first really poor nights sleep.  It turns out that the RV park is located right next to the train tracks. Nearly every hour on the hour the trains whiz by and honk their horn for the crossing nearby, which is not conducive to good sleep.  So I got up early to start the day with the early riser group.  

We were out the door at 6:30 at McDonalds for breakfast at 7:00 and quickly on the road.


Early scenery before the theme of the day.  GREY.


Pretty cool to think of Lewis and Clark paddling around the river.  We biked a good portion of it today.


Aforementioned River.


Crossing the river onto Puget Sound Island.


The tiny square in the background was the leaving Washington sign.  We had 12 minutes to ride 3.5 miles to make it.  I got there with two minutes to spare.  I averaged about 25 mph trying to make it in time to reserve three spots for my riding companions.  Good fun.


Bike takes ferry.  Looks sweet.  πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ


We were all sad about the super boring welcome to Oregon sign.  A tough 656 foot climb (immediately after the ferry) welcomed us to Oregon.


Jenn and Aaron know exactly how 
I pulled off the scenic picture of my three riding companions today ;). Who's the photographer?


Another non-cyclist view.  



Welcome to Astoria.  Where my evening involved laundry and a beer at the same time.  I was super stoked to have 30 brews on tap in the same building as the laundry facility.  I had a San Diego stone brew (Americano, a dark beer),cheers to all my readers 🍻.



Two nights at another Lutheran church with a hosted Lasagna dinner, salad, ice cream  and cookies.  I should be obese but am always hungry it seems.  I felt like I burned a bunch of calories today.

I'm hoping now that we're going south we can find a magical tailwind.  At this point tailwinds are myth.

Yoga and an early bed time tonight for sure.

Rest/Project day tommorow πŸ˜ƒ




3 comments:

  1. I look forward to this all day! You're doing a great job with the blog, always entertaining and informative with plenty of your fun personality. Good job! I'm curious about your work day tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 hours on the road and 3/4 of a mile of that vertical, all after listening to a train all night! Pretty impressive. And you still had enough energy to haul butt and get your team on the ferry. Sounds like good timing for the rest day. I hope at least that you get better sleep tonight! Thankful for your early risers group, the provided food, and many choices of beers. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete