Thursday, August 24, 2017

Day 19 - Gualala to Olema


The day started off sunny for the first time in a while.

Beautiful ocean views.


And then it changed.


Had it not been up 18% grade and before noon, I might have been tempted.



The same descent I've now down three times.  Twice on Levis Gran Fondo.


I was excited to stop in Jenner at a coffee shop that I got a convincing reference for way back in Ferndale.


Anyone going through Jenner should make this a definite stop.  Two poached eggs on focaccia with arugula and sauce, plus a cappuccino.


And a heck of a view to consume it.


Back in the saddle, with one more picture.



Mid descent one of the many mudslide closures we've encountered.  They are all down to one lane and we push the button.  One of today's just happened to be up 9% grade.  The wrong place to try and hurry.


Fortunately it did turn sunny again.


So I peeled off layers and packed them along as best I could.


When the sun came out, so did the headwinds that blew the fog away.  I need to be more specific when wishing.

Steep climb, bomb it, steep climb, bomb it, repeat until you find camp.


Point Reyes Cowgirl Creamery.


Tonights the BROM Bike party where everyone dresses up.


Good fun.


Plus Garmin screwed up the mileage.



3 comments:

  1. This must be the backbone of the trip: long days on long days, and plenty of steep altitude changes to boot! Wow. You sound good in spite of all that, so great! Still finding amazing food, natch. :) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had wanted to ride on new roads, now you're excited to recognize ones you'd ridden before on Levi ride--both great fun! I am enjoying the landscape for sure; I want to visit that creamery and waterside cafe! Mostly I love the smile on your face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the sky is blue, it's the bluest of blue for sure. I need to remember to eat before I check your blog or you have to take less food pics! The presentation of the dishes is amazing. I love arugula on anything!

    ReplyDelete