Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Day 4 - Castle Rock to Astoria


One more day closer to a new adventure and 265 miles in five days.

Today was the hardest day on the bike so far.  Steady Oregon hills.  So much easier this year without the headwinds and rain.


Easy 40 miles to the ferry and leaving Washington behind already.


I dreaded today but was pleasantly surprised that the four lane road of last year was reduced to only two, with the extra space for cyclists.

I felt great today and drove our group through the wind for the last 10-15 miles or so.

I was rewarded at dinner with a free beer for my solid efforts.


All in all a great day until we found out there was an accident (on the bike path in town no less), resulting in one rider cracking his frame and another rider going home with a broken elbow.  Both of my roommates on day 0.


Such a devastating feeling (I remember it well).  I hope he can comeback like I have this year.


Rest day tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling strong and healthy! So sorry to hear the news about your roommates. Have a great rest day! You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong and enjoy the beautiful Oregon coast. You're the perfect role model for those injured riders. Be safe. Love you. S

    ReplyDelete