Thursday, August 10, 2017

Day 5 - Rest Day (Astoria)


It could have been a mellow rest day, but that's really not how endurance athletes roll, but they will pose for funny pictures.  25,000 steps later I have stories.

It started with a walk to breakfast, where I treated one of my favorite riders for his birthday.  72 today, retired Air Force and a really cool guy.


Amazingly no breakfast sandwich, I had cardamom french toast with lingonberries.

A long walk back and then to the laundry (the excellent one from last year with 44 beers on tap).  Too early for that this year though.

I did rest a little with a Game of Thrones episode on my phone before a group formed to find a very popular lunch spot.


It took about an hour and a half, but we made the best of it.  Chatting with strangers about our ride.  The locals were drinking beer in line, so one of our fellow riders went on a run to grab some too.
No shortage of good breweries in Astoria.


We did eventually eat.  
Tuna fish and chips.  👍🏻


I didn't play basketball, but I see it everywhere.


My last trek for the day was to find the goonie house.


Found it.  As I blog the movies currently playing downstairs.


Done with Map 1 and I'm eager to head south.


Onwards.




2 comments:

  1. Those are some crotchety homeowners! So glad you're bringing such an opposite vibe to the trip. Good progress and looking forward to more! PS cardamom with lingonberries isn't on the burrito-burger continuum: my mind is completely blown:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's wise to avoid the hoops. The beer and tuna/chips sounds like more fun anyway. Onward soldier!

    ReplyDelete