Friday, August 25, 2017

Day 20 - Olema to San Francisco


First left out of camp today was a quick steep 8% climb.  Fortunately only 350 feet.

Still a foggy start woth everything covered in dew this morning.  Our campsite was ravaged by raccoons last night.  A jersey with granola bars was taken to the woods (although recovered) and several bike bags were opened and looted.  One raccoon even woke one camper up at 4:00 this morning licking dew off his tent.

The sun did come out in spectacular fashion, although short lived.


One big destination now checked off the list.

I biked up to the great lookout but it was too foggy to even see the bridge.  The San Francisco side was much better.


Just like previous times the ride across was horrible.  Rented bikes, looky loo's, kids, just plain dangerous and sketchy.

Happy to be across and exploring the Presidio, which I've never been to.  It was humongous with a lot to explore another time.


Onward to the hotel avoiding roadside debris.


Through the airport, nice lane actually.


Once I found the hotel, I trekked on to find a bike shop to check out the horrible rattling I've had for about 300 miles now.


First stop revealed that the *#%^* in Reno who redid my bike took some liberty to jerry rig the bottom bracket with and old to small one and didn't lock the cassette on tight enough.  It was coming loose.

The first shop didn't have the part.  So I rode south and hopped a train to Redwood City where my part awaited.


After getting help from a local and a half hour wait on board.


After a couple hours and more trains, I realized I left my water bottles on the shop counter.  I'll fix that tomorrow.

It's been 9 hours since I last ate.

Just outside the train station I found nirvana.

🍔 7 🌯 7


Exhausted to bed I go.



3 comments:

  1. So glad you got your bike fixed, and by people that know what they're doing. Happy rest day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a miserable day! Like Jenn said though, it's so good that you got your bike fixed by someone who knew their #$%!

    Also the word "hotel" sounds pretty fantastic. I hope that it's a two nighter. I'll bet you can use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In and Out?! Enjoy the clean sheets. Glad to hear bike is back in shape. Frustrating when you trust someone to take care and then they #$& you! The bridge sounds treacherous.

    ReplyDelete