Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Day 25 - Greenfield to Paso Robles


I had thought it rained on us last night, but discussing it with others apparently it was the sprinklers in the park going off early this morning.  ☔️

49 degrees this morning.

I really liked this picture, the machined lines were amazing.  Everything is tended so perfectly.  I passed parsley, celery, and onions today (that I remember).


My map reading has been good, but the path isn't always clear.


Typical Central Valley picture, before we do our first climb of the day.  10% grade for too long, with more to come.  ðŸ˜¬


You won't see too many pictures today, my focus was survival.  Before our first rest stop I had 3 bottles of water already. The forecast was 108 for Paso Robles.

El diablo hath replaced the fog with heat. 👹 which meant I had to forgoe all wine tasting today.  I had hoped to get a bottle to share with my lover.


Chugging gatorade, crushing Klondike bars with a side of teriyaki jerky.  The woman in the store thought we were crazy, she said it was supposed to be 117 degrees where we were at the moment.


We passed a huge old military weapons training facility, tanks, bunkers and targets.


Second big climb of the day, 12% for several miles.


It was a long hot tough day, but having California climbing and hot weather experience I was prepared.  It allowed me to enjoy the beauty of the rolling (or larger hills) today.  I safely made it to camp 1st and having helped pace 3 others along with me.  

8 others were not so fortunate.  The later riders had a much tougher time completing the difficult day.  All the bikes on the vans were hauled in.


And now I'm spent.....until tomorrow when we climb back over the hills to the coastline.


Tan lines coming in sharp.


3 comments:

  1. You're even smiling when you're sleeping. Glad you made it through this crazy hot day feeling strong! Keep on hydrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 hours and a mile of elevation through 100+ degree temperatures. That sounds like torture to me! I sure hope you can get over the hills to the coast quite early tomorrow. I'm so impressed at how ready you are for this monster marathon of pain: probably about 1500 miles now and more to go, through all kinds of nasty conditions. You the man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you manage: 1. To do the climbs--in the heat--and 2. Still keep smiling! But I'm so glad you do! "Drink, drink, drink," Po used to say. I'll be glad when you get back to the coast, I hope you're on the road already with the relative coolness of morning. Take care, take care.

    ReplyDelete